If you are like me and obsessed with candles, here are some tips and tricks to enhance your candle burning experience and maximize the candle performance.
1. Trim Wick – If you get black at the rim of your glass, wipe it away with a damp cloth, this may be a sign that your wick is too long. Trim your cotton wick to 0.5cm with a wick trimmer before lighting.
2. First Burn – The first time you light up a new candle, let it burn for about 3 hours until the pool of wax reaches the edge of the container. If you don’t, you run the risk of tunnelling down the centre of the candle and missing out on hours of scent and joy!
3. Length of Burn – Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time as this will cause carbon to collect on the wick and the end of your wick will begin to mushroom.
4. Avoid Draughts – Burn your candle in an even surface and stay away from drafts. The breeze will cause your candle wick to create more smoke. When they are placed evenly, you lose the risk of tunnelling and uneven performance.
5. Stop Burn – Stop burning your candle when the wax depth measures less than 1 cm. This will keep you, and your furniture, safe.